Child safety organization World Against Toys Causing Harm, Inc. (W.A.T.C.H.) maintains a list of the Top 10 summer safety concerns for children. The most current list includes these 10 common items:
- Toy guns with projectile ammunition. These can cause serious eye injuries.
- Airborne toys. These include toy helicopters, drones and boomerangs, which can cause lacerations, impact and eye injuries.
- Hoverboards. One of the most popular toys on the market today, hoverboards are self-balancing scooters with lithium ion batteries that have been shown to spontaneously burst into flame. There have also been more than 7,200 reports of emergency room visits because of falls from hoverboards.
- Baby pools. Young children can drown in as little as two inches of water. Baby pools are popular because of the Texas heat and are purchased not only for children, but also for pets. Having one of these in your backyard can be a drowning hazard for young children.
- Flotation devices. These include water wings and inflatable rings, which provide a false sense of security that a child is safe in the water. Children should always be supervised by adults around water.
- Pool covers. Gaps in pool covers and sagging covers that collect water are hazardous to children.
- Bounce houses and trampolines. Over a 10-year period form 2003 to 2013, there were a reported 113,272 injuries from inflatable amusement devices. Approximately 90% of these injuries involved bounce houses. Trampolines accounted for almost 105,000 injuries in 2014.
- Non-motorized scooters. Approximately 56,000 injuries to children were treated in emergency rooms in 2014 due to non-motorized scooters, which can cause impact injuries, traumatic brain injuries and death.
- Drawstrings and bicycle helmet straps on playgrounds. Children wearing clothing with drawstrings or bicycle helmets on playgrounds can be injured if those drawstrings or helmet straps become entangled with playground equipment.
- Toys with small parts. In the past two years, there have been 17 recalls of toys with small parts because of the potential for choking injuries to children.
Roberts & Roberts focuses on helping people who have been injured in accidents or because of negligence. Contact us to schedule your free consultation with our experienced personal injury legal team for the compassionate representation you deserve.